Sunday, February 5, 2012

Mirror Mirror....

Other than nuns, monks, or other old world clergy, is there anyone who doesn’t look at themselves in the mirror on a daily basis?  I know people who look at their own reflection EVERY time the opportunity presents itself.  But think about it.  How bad would it really be to not look in a mirror for a few days? A week? A month?  Well let me tell ya….

When you are bedridden, especially in the hospital, your own reflection is never a priority.  In my case, as is most I’m sure, how I looked was not even on my radar.  I was too busy being in pain, being in a drug-educed haze, bitching about something, or begging someone for my next caffeine fix.  Since I have fully recovered, people who visited me (either at the ICU or at home) have all shared the revelation with me that I looked dreadful.  Well, thank god now I know.

I realize when people say that it’s not to be an asshole.  It’s just easier than saying, “You looked like you were going to die”.  Only a few of my friends actually had the balls to tell me they thought I was dying.  And I guess that was a plausible conclusion, since my brain was swollen like a bloody blowfish inside my skull. 

I remember the first time I saw my own reflection after the stroke.  I was in the step-down unit off the ICU and they had finally removed my catheter.  Man that was a happy day.  I think anyone who has ever experienced catheterization can relate to how unfabulous a process it is, getting put in and then removed.   Both equally uncomfortable and annoying.  Anyhow, I was able to get out of bed with the help of another person and Esther, (my walker, yes she was a joy we will discuss in another post).  On this particular occasion I wanted Keane to help me to the bathroom.  He held me up while I slowly tried to maneuver Esther into the bathroom towards the toilet.  It wasn’t purposeful, as my main objective was to finally pee on my own, but I caught my own reflection when I passed the sink.  I stopped.  And I looked.  I looked for so long I almost didn’t make it to the toilet to pee. 

What I saw astounded me.  I looked like someone else.  It didn’t seem like me. Not at all.  My face was pasty.  My skin looked so tight, like I was stuffed in it. My sharp Italian features were lost.  I couldn’t find my cheekbones anywhere.  My chin was really rounded.  I was bloated beyond belief.  I looked like someone shoved a garden hose up my ass and turned it on high. I was round.  Really round.  Even though I could see my hands, feet, and body all along, this was different.  My face was foreign to me.  I looked tired.  Well I was tired.  All the time.  I felt as if I looked like someone who had let herself go.  Not cared for herself, not been kind to herself.  I felt pretty crappy that I looked as bad as I’d felt and dreaded knowing that it was probably the best I’d looked in awhile.  As stunned as I was at my appearance I was pretty happy to have a reflection to look upon at all. 

My appearance has changed a lot over the past two years and yet sometimes it’s still difficult for me to see those changes.  People tell me all the time how healthy I look.  My regimen of yoga, running, and working out seems to be helping me get into shape.  It’s hard to see though.  Some days I can’t get past that initial reflection I saw in the hospital bathroom.  Other days I can look at myself and be accepting and kinder to what looks back.

I had to get a new driver’s license photo three months after I got out of the hospital.  And it should say “Angela A. Blowfish”.  I still on occasion show it to people who don't believe how bad I looked.  Most people hate their driver’s license pic.  I kinda like this one.  Keeps things in perspective for me. God knows if I ever have a “fat day”, I whip that puppy out and take a look.  That photo reminds me where I was, how lucky I am to be here, how far I’ve come, and excites me to see where the hell I am going.

No comments:

Post a Comment